This is a test of GDPR / Cookie Acceptance [about our cookies]
Really irritating test - cookie expires in 24 hour!
Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson: 25 Aug 2025
29.8.2025 (Friday) 03:52 - All running AOK
 
Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson: 25 Aug 2025
Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 19:39, 25th August 2025
 
From the BBC:

Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson



Three people have died and a fourth remains in hospital in a serious condition after a helicopter crashed during a flying lesson on the Isle of Wight.

The helicopter came down in a field near Ventor just before 09:30 BST on Monday morning.

An investigation has been launched by the Air Accident Investigation Branch (AAIB).

Isle of Wight East MP Joe Robertson described the crash as a tragedy and said the whole community is in shock.


Re: Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson: 25 Aug 2025
Posted by ChrisB at 10:23, 27th August 2025
 
Two were locals. RIP.

Re: Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson: 25 Aug 2025
Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 14:02, 27th August 2025
 
Indeed, sad news, ChrisB. 

An update, from the BBC:

Investigation continues into fatal helicopter crash


The remains of the helicopter were taken away on Tuesday

An investigation into how a helicopter came to crash in a field on the Isle of Wight is continuing, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has said.

Justyna Czoska, 52, Wojciech Kowalkowski, 49, and 54-year-old Simon Hewitt were killed when the aircraft came down near Shanklin on Monday morning.

A spokesperson for the AAIB previously said they were gathering physical evidence from the accident site and interviewing witnesses.

The wreckage was removed from the crash site on Tuesday.

The spokesperson added the investigation was likely to take 12 months.


Justyna Czoska, Wojtek Kowalkowski and pilot Simon Hewitt (right) died in the crash on the Isle of Wight

A spokesman for operator Northumbria Helicopters previously said G-OCLV - a Robinson R44 II - had departed from Sandown Airport at approximately 09:00 BST on Monday. It said the aircraft was "carrying four passengers on board including the pilot, and was undertaking a flying lesson".

Witnesses reported the aircraft spiralling before crashing in a field alongside the A3020 at 09:20. One person was airlifted to the major trauma centre at University Hospital Southampton, Hampshire and Isle of Wight Constabulary said. The other three people on board died.

Ms Czoska and Mr Kowalkowski were both from Banbury in Oxfordshire, while Mr Hewitt was from Barton-upon-Humber in Lincolnshire.

Ms Czoska's family described her as "beautiful, funny, talkative, optimistic and kind", and said she was "always wanting to make those around her happy. She was our best friend, we miss the sound of her voice, we will miss her forever," they said.

Mr Kowalkowski's family said he was "the father of two loving children", with Ms Czoska's daughter saying: "He always made me happy and always made my mum happy."

Mr Hewitt's partner and family said they were "absolutely broken", describing him as "the most wonderful, intelligent, kind man and father".

Northumbria Helicopters said in a statement that its "devoted pilot" Captain Simon Hewitt would be "truly missed".


Re: Three killed in Isle of Wight helicopter crash during flying lesson: 25 Aug 2025
Posted by Chris from Nailsea at 20:36, 28th August 2025
 
An update, from the BBC:

Operator defends pilot over fatal helicopter crash

The operator of a helicopter that crashed, killing the pilot and two of the passengers, has criticised a suggestion that pilot error might be to blame.

The R44 aircraft came down near Shanklin, Isle of Wight, on Monday morning during a flying lesson.

Previously, the helicopter's manufacturer Robinson said pilot error was statistically the most likely cause. However, flight school Northumbria Helicopters said the suggestion was "premature" and "deeply insensitive" to the family of 54-year-old flying instructor Simon Hewitt.

Mr Hewitt, from Barton-upon-Humber in Lincolnshire, and passengers Justyna Czoska, 52, and Wojciech Kowalkowski, 49, from Banbury, Oxfordshire, died in the incident. A fourth person, a man in his 30s, remains in hospital in a stable condition.

Previously, Robinson chief executive David Smith said more than 80% of similar crashes were ultimately attributed to pilot error.

In a statement, he said: "Our thoughts are with the families and friends of the three individuals who lost their lives, and we are hopeful for a full recovery for the survivor. While we understand there are many questions about what caused this accident, we do not have enough information to speak with any certainty at this time. What is definitive is that in 80-plus per cent of situations, outcomes of these accidents are ruled as pilot error, rather than mechanical failure.

"We have full confidence in the authorities who are investigating this incident. They will thoroughly examine all factors, including the aircraft's maintenance history, the operator, the pilot's actions, and the environmental conditions leading up to the crash. We believe their investigation will provide the clarity and closure needed for the families affected by this terrible event."

However, flight operator Northumbria said it was "very disappointed" at the statement. It said: "At this stage, the Air Accidents Investigation Branch (AAIB) has only just commenced their investigation. It is therefore both premature and inappropriate to speculate on the causes of this tragedy."

The firm's statement continued: "Any suggestion of pilot error at this point is not supported by evidence and risks causing unnecessary distress to grieving families, friends, and colleagues. Simon Hewitt was an immensely respected, exceptionally safety conscious and highly skilled flight instructor and commercial pilot, admired both professionally and personally. To imply fault before the facts have been established is not only inaccurate but also deeply insensitive to those mourning his loss."

Previously, Mr Hewitt's family said they had been left "absolutely broken", describing him as "the most wonderful, intelligent, kind man and father".

Ms Czoska's daughters and family said she was "our best friend", while Mr Kowalkowski's relatives said the father of two would be "deeply missed".

The AAIB said its inquiry could take 12 months to complete.


 
The Coffee Shop forum is provided by customers of Great Western Railway (formerly First Great Western). The views expressed are those of the individual posters concerned. Visit https://www.gwr.com for the official Great Western Railway website. Please contact the administrators of this site at admin@railcustomer.info if you feel that the content provided by one of our posters contravenes our posting rules. Our full legal statment is at https://www.greatwesternrailway.info/legal.html

Although we are planning ahead, we don't know what the future will bring here in the Coffee Shop. We have domains "firstgreatwestern.info" for w-a-y back and also "greatwesternrailway.info"; we can also answer to "greatbritishrailways.info" too. For the future, information about Great Brisish Railways, by customers and for customers.
 
Current Running
GWR trains from JourneyCheck
 
 
Code Updated 11th January 2025